Wednesday, January 9, 2013

snapshots of Blizzard Draco and holiday break

Blizzard Draco crept in under the cover of night December 19th, 2012, and in 24 hours dumped a total of 15 inches on Madison:




By Thursday morning, Governor Walker had closed all city buildings. Day off for me! As public transpo wasn't running, and none of the streets got effectively plowed in the first 24 hours, my camera and I trekked all over Downtown on foot, taking pics of the city. It was a blast.

Saturday morning, December 22, I managed to dig my car out from under a mountain of plowed snow, and (very slowly) made my exodus.
One bit of excitement: M (my car, named after the immutable Bond character) desperately needed a fill-up. So the moment I got out of Downtown Madison, I stopped at a gas station. And discovered their satellite was down, and so was their ability to take credit cards. Three gas stations later (and with poor M coughing up fumes) we FINALLY found one that was able to take credit. Let me tell you what: as far as I'm concerned, Blizzard + no satellite = Armageddon.

Then for the REAL fun: Holiday Break in Holt, MI (AKA mad fun with family & friends)
We FINALLY saw The Hobbit!
Pixar's The Incredibles movie night with David and Kaitlin and the kids. Pretty sure a bomb could've gone off, and Benjamin wouldn't have moved an inch.

This little dude so contentedly nestled in the snow is Orville. Heather bought him last summer when she found me making friends with him at the store. I took him back with me to Madison, as he will be a traveling knome for the next year. He and I are looking forward to having many adventures together in Mad-town.
Yep, we really did make an upside-down snowman. And it was boss. (And quite the neighborhood sideshow.)
Yep, we are those nerds, the kind that make their own board games. Try not to be terrified of our awesomeness.





Highlights of break: 
  • Creating The Princess Bride Monopoly together
  • Playing Wheel of Fortune
  • Eating Mom's Christmas cookies like they were going out of style (which they NEVER will)
  • Seeing old friends
  • Throwing clothes over fitting room walls at resale shops
  • Getting Benjamin hugs
  • Heather's expression when I showed her my poopy cow keychain
  • Late-night talks with Megs
  • Making leg-warmers (I know, right? Me, enjoying SEWING. The mind rebels)
  • Gina's laugh as we watched Boy Meets World 
  • Wrestling Shelby in the snow
  • Sledding in precarious 10-person trains down Dead Mans Hill
  • The dozens of situations I labeled Christmas miracles (everything from our white Christmas to green traffic lights)

Quote of the week: Megan (just after showering): "I'm gonna grab some cookies from the garage freezer." Me: "Okay." ::two minutes later:: Megan: "Could you give me a clue where to look? It's cold out here, and my hair is starting to freeze."

No comments:

Post a Comment